1. This has also been reproduced in various facsimile editions over the years. The edition published in 1975 by Academy Editions, entitled The Works in Architecture of Robert and James Adam contains the complete text of the introductions, as well as the plates, with an introductory essay by Robert Oresko. Subsequent page references refer to this edition.
2. M Sanderson, Robert Adam and Scotland: Portrait of an Architect, (Scottish Record Office and HMSO, 1992), pp.36-7 and pp.50-51.
3. The Works in Architecture of Robert and James Adam, pp.45 and 46.
4. See Robert Adam and Scotland: The Picturesque Drawings (Scottish Arts Council, Exhibition Catalogue, 1972).
5. This division is followed, for example, by James
Lees-Milne in The Age of Adam, (Batsford, 1947).