Scran conforms at level AA to the World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0, meaning wherever possible we satisfy all level 2 priorities.
All features on Scran should meet AA levels on accessibility and, wherever possible, features should meet AAA level.
Some of the features which make this site more accessible are:
- Alternative text is available for all images
- The site uses an accessible colour scheme and a high contrast alternative colour scheme is available (through My Stuff)
- A large text version of the site is available (through My Stuff)
- A text only version of the site is available and the standard version is fully readable without CSS turned on
- Layout of content is controlled using CSS wherever possible
- The site validates as XHTML 1.0 Transitional
This site uses a setup that matches most recommendations on access keys:
1 — Home Page
2 — Skip to News
3 — Site Map
4 — Search field focus
5 — Advanced Search
6 — Help
9 — Contact information
0 — Access Key details
N — next results page or next record when viewing records
P — previous results page or previous record when viewing records
S — select the first record in a results page
B — back to the results page when viewing records
< — jump to previous X records (same as pressing '<<')
> — jump to next X records (same as pressing '<<')
- Internet Explorer 5+: Hold down Alt key, press the character key, release both, then press ENTER.
- Firefox: Hold down Alt and Shift keys and press the character key.
- Mozilla, Netscape 7+ and Internet Explorer 4: Hold down Alt key and press the character key.
Mac OS X
- Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape 7+, Safari, Omniweb and Internet Explorer 5+: Hold down Ctrl key and press the character of access key.
- Konqueror: Hold down Ctrl key and press the character of access key.